Four Categories ●Fiction ●Nonfiction ●Children's Literature ●Poetry
2018 Guidelines, Rules, and Entry Form
Writers-Editors Network 35th Annual International Writing Competition
formerly CNW/FFWA Florida State Writing Competition
Click here to download a two-page pdf file for easier printing. (right-click to save to your desktop)
Frequently Asked Questions page. Check it out.
Who Can Enter
The contest is open to all writers. You do not have to be a member of Writers-Editors Network (WEN). However, members of our Network (which includes FFWA) save up to 50% on entry fees. (If you're submitting more than one entry, it probably will save you money to join at least at the Basic level – PLUS, you get all that information for a full year!) (Membership information)
● Children's Literature
(See Guidelines below for further category information.)
Entries must be postmarked no later than March 15, 2018.
Or enter via email by midnight your time on March 15.
Awards & Cash Prizes
● First Place in each Category - $150 plus certificate plus one-year Writers-Editors Network membership***
● Second Place in each Category - $100 plus certificate
● Third Place in each Category - $75 plus certificate
● Honorable Mention certificates will be awarded in each category as warranted
*** One-year Writers-Editors Network membership will be an Online Basic membership for new members. If winner is a current active Writers-Editors Network member, he or she will receive a one-year extension of current membership level.
● All entries must be unpublished or self-published and not accepted for publication by a traditional publisher at the time they are entered in the contest. Self-published can be written and posted by you on your own blog or Facebook page, etc, but not on a website where an editor has selected the content over others.
● Fiction – may be a short story or novel chapter for adult readers. Indicate which of these, plus whether literary, mystery, romance, science fiction, fantasy, etc. on manuscript first page. Maximum length 4,000 words.
● Nonfiction – may be an article, blog post, essay/opinion piece, column, or nonfiction book chapter targeting an adult audience. Indicate which of these on manuscript first page. Maximum length 4,000 words.
● Children's Literature – may be a story, fiction book chapter, poem, magazine article or nonfiction book chapter targeting children or Young Adults (YA). Indicate which (story, etc.) and targeted age group on entry's first page. Include sources for facts and quotes. Maximum length 4,000 words.
● For book chapter entries (fiction or nonfiction or children's), indicate book title plus chapter title or # on each entry and entry form (multiple chapter entries require a separate entry form and separate entry fee for each chapter).
● Poetry – may be traditional or free verse; indicate which on entry. For traditional poems, specify the form, such as Sonnet, Villanelle, Sestina, or Renga.
● Enter as many manuscripts in as many categories as you wish. Entry fee and a separate Official Entry Form must accompany each entry; photocopies of the entry form are acceptable. Send only one copy of each entry.
● Entries not conforming to contest rules will be disqualified; entry fees will not be returned. Entries over the 4,000-word limit will be judged on the first 4,000 words submitted. Do not submit complete book – one book chapter per entry only.
● Author's name must NOT appear on any entry. If name appears on self-published work, cover name so it is not readable
● Submit text in 10 to 14 point Times Roman or Arial (note: 12 point Arial is easier to read on emailed entries)
● Presentation (format, follows rules, neatness, spelling, punctuation, grammar, print quality).
● Suitability (correct category, correct age group and appropriate length if children's manuscript).
● Tightness, clarity, structure, strength of lead/beginning, transitions, impact, satisfactory close.
● Nonfiction: Logic; use of quotes, statistics and anecdotes; order, provocative idea, lead and close.
● Fiction: Characterization, conflict, dialogue, plotting, beginning, ending, figures of speech.
● Poetry: Fresh concept, cadence or rhythmic beat, sound echoes, any other device (such as figurative language) that appeals to the imagination or engages the reader's senses; and for traditional verse, adherence to form.
● Winners' certificates/awards will be mailed no later than May 31, 2018.
● Winners List will be posted here on writers-editors.com — around May 31, 2018. (See Winners for recent years.
● Entry fee of $10 (active or new WEN/FFWA members) or $20 (non-members) must accompany each fiction and nonfiction and children's story or book chapter entry
● Entry fee of $5 (members) or $10 (non-members) must accompany each poem (Poetry or Children's category) entered.
OR – Have several poems to enter? $10 for 3 poems (members) or $15 for 3 poems (non-members).
You can send check, money order, or submit your entry fee(s) via PayPal.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To Submit Entry via Email
1. Prepare each entry in a separate file.
2. Title the manuscript (entry) but do not include your name on any page. (Don't worry. We'll match your title and first line with your entry form.) (Give a Book Chapter entry both a book title and a chapter title or number.)
3. Save each entry file as a doc, docx, rtf, wpd, or pdf file.
4. Email your entry or entries (again, each in a separate file) to ContestEntry@writers-editors.com as attachment(s). Multiple entries may be sent separately or in a single email with multiple attachments.
5. Put "Contest entry attached" or "3 (e.g.) contest entries attached" (without the quote marks) in the subject line.
6. Fill out a separate .doc entry form (or use this .wpd file or this rtf file) for each entry and send as an attachment to ContestEntry@writers-editors.com. (Save the entry form file to your computer or device, key in the requested info, then re-save it and email it.) (Note: If you want only a printable entry form to mail in with your entry (not email), go to this page.)
7. Send in your entry fee(s) for the emailed entry or entries in any of the following ways:
a. Use this PayPal button to pay via credit card or PayPal (on the PayPal form, read "donation" as "entry fee" and ignore the recurring option). If the credit card or PayPal account is in a name different from the entry, explain in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
b. Use your PayPal account to send your entry fee(s) to email@example.com as explained below.
When we have matched up your emailed entry with its entry form and its entry fee, we will email you so you know your entry or entries have been submitted correctly.
OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
2018 Writers-Editors International Writing Competition - for mailed entries - postmark deadline March 15, 2018
A separate form must accompany each entry (and each poem); click for a printer-friendly Entry Form (or you can use this one).
1. Author's name _______________________________________
Note how you want your name on Winners List/Certificate if different from above:_____________________________________________
2. Author's mailing address _________________________________
3. Author's phone number (______) ________________
4. Author's Email: _______________________________________
5. TITLE of entry _________________________________________
6. FIRST LINE of entry _____________________________________
6. Check (or Circle) Category of this entry:
/ /A-Fiction – / /B-Nonfiction – / /C-Children's – / /D-Poetry
7. ENTRY FEE (check one and enclose fee with entry and entry form):
(Membership number if entering as a current Writers-Editors Network [WEN] member [includes FFWA]: _________)
/ / $5, I am a current WEN/FFWA member or am joining at this time (dues enclosed), and entry is one poem
/ / $10, I am not a member and am not joining at this time, and entry is one poem
/ / $10, I am a current WEN/FFWA member or am joining at this time (dues enclosed), and entry = three poems
/ / $15, I am not a member and am not joining at this time and entry = three poems
/ / $10, I am a current WEN/FFWA member or am joining at this time (dues enclosed), and entry is Fiction or Nonfiction or Children's (short story, article or book chapter)
/ / $20, I am not a member and am not joining at this time and entry is Fiction or Nonfiction or Children's (short story, article or book chapter)
/ / I have enclosed membership dues of $ ______ (see Membership page for choices here).
Make entry fee check or money order payable to: CNW Publishing. One check may be written to cover multiple entries if all are mailed in same package (but enclose separate entry forms for each entry). (US $ only)
You may charge your entry fee(s) to: VISA, MasterCard, Discover, American Express. Charge will appear on your card statement as "CNW Pub," and a receipt will be emailed to you by Square, our credit card processor. International, Canada and U.S. entrants can also pay via PayPal.
Card # _________________________________________
expiration date. _________ Security (CVV) code: ________
card zip/postal code: __________ (important; card will not be approved without zip/postal code on your credit card statement)
Total charged $______________ credit card name or signature:
You can submit your entry fees via PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org (a verified PayPal user since 2000) even if you are mailing your hard copy entry. Be sure to note with your payment the title(s) and/or first line of your entry or entries. Then mail your entry or entries via postal mail along with entry form(s) - We will email you confirmation when we have received and matched up your entry fees and entries.
9. SEND entry form(s), with entry or entries & fees to: Writers-Editors Contest, PO Box A, North Stratford NH 03590 by postmark deadline of March 15, 2018.